BDO’s Core Purpose is Helping People Thrive Every Day. Our Core Values reflect how we manage our work, our relationships and ourselves. As an employee of the firm, you will live true to our Core Values of people first, being exceptional every day in every way, embracing change, feeling empowered through knowledge, and choosing accountability. Our Core Values are the standards by which we conduct ourselves day in and day out, both internally and externally.
BDO FMA is a growth-oriented management consulting practice dedicated to building the capacity of the nonprofit sector. We partner with our nonprofit and philanthropic clients to help them attain operational excellence, ensure financial sustainability, and effectively achieve their desired impact. Our collaborative approach includes client input and involvement at each stage of an engagement.
As a Senior Consultant in the BDO FMA consulting practice, you will provide professional services that are sensitive to the needs and values of both nonprofit organizations and funders that support them. In addition to working with funders as clients, members of our Philanthropic Services team also work directly with on-the-ground nonprofits to help them build their finance and infrastructure capacity.
Our practice supports funders who want to make grants in ways that are supportive of long-term grantee success – and are efficient and risk-tolerant for the funding organization. Typical Philanthropic Services engagements include training program officers and grants managers in nonprofit finance; refining grantmaking policies and practices; and developing critical infrastructure.
Responsibilities vary based on engagements and client needs and require an independent and multi-talented professional with grantmaking experience and a consulting mindset. The Consultant must be collaborative, proactive, and flexible – and adapt easily to changing client needs.
Duties may include any of the following:
- Participate and work towards leading Philanthropic Services engagements at the senior level in accordance with the firm’s philosophy and the BDO FMA “way.”
- Participate in nonprofit engagements.
- Support national business development efforts including designing engagements, writing proposals and closing deals.
- Co-develop tools and collateral materials for business development with Marketing support.
- Deepen partnerships with philanthropy-serving organizations (PSOs) for business development, thought leadership opportunities and product development.
- Facilitate and contribute to internal processes to support Philanthropic Services’ business development.
- Continually develop and solidify relationships leading to successful business engagements.
Practice and Product Development
- Actively engage with team to refine the Philanthropic Services product development strategy.
- Contribute to ongoing development of existing Philanthropic Services products.
- Identify opportunities and advocate for new products/services and lead their development.
- Facilitate training to orient team to Philanthropic Services products.
- Serve as advisor and mentor to colleagues on topics related to working with funders.
Maintain ongoing knowledge of key developments within the philanthropic sector and act as subject matter expert
As there are several cities listed within this job description, we would consider candidates nationwide.
- Bachelor’s Degree, required
- Master’s Degree in Nonprofit, Philanthropy, Business, or Public Administration, preferred
- Minimum 7 years’ experience working at a grantmaking organization or consulting firm performing grantmaking (program), grants management, financial due diligence, consulting and/or training services, or finance and operations functions, required
- Experience analyzing nonprofit financial statements and conducting financial due diligence of nonprofits, preferred
- Working knowledge of nonprofit and philanthropic finance and infrastructure, preferred
- Proven success leading change management initiatives, preferred
- Track record of effective facilitation and/or training, preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and PowerPoint, required
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial and have proven success as a trainer, coach, capacity builder, writer and/or fundraiser/business developer
- Effective project management skills (on time and on budget delivery)
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills – and effectively lead cross collaboration efforts
- Demonstrated creative, critical and strategic thinking in past positions
- Ability to travel as needed
**Please be sure to submit a cover letter with your application**