Centerbridge Partners, L.P. is a private investment management firm employing a flexible approach across investment disciplines—private equity, credit and real estate—in an effort to develop the most attractive opportunities for our investors. The Firm was founded in 2005 and has over $34 billion in capital under management with offices in New York and London. Centerbridge believes in a complementary relationship between our investment disciplines and has set out to build a unified team to invest across asset classes and market cycles.
The Centerbridge team comprises ~275 individuals, including ~100 investment professionals. The Managing Principal, together with nearly two-dozen Senior Managing Directors, bring an average of more than 22 years of experience. The investment team includes professionals with private equity, distressed securities, corporate finance, legal and industry specific backgrounds.
Our philosophy unifies perspectives across our investment disciplines and applies them across asset classes, sectors and geographies. We believe this integrated approach offers us a differentiated capability to flexibly navigate shifting market conditions, which is at the heart of how we create and preserve value.
The Centerbridge Foundation was established in 2007 to make charitable investments in the communities where Centerbridge Partners has offices. The Foundation’s mission is to increase access to educational and economic opportunities for students so they can achieve their full potential. We believe that a quality education provides the most direct path to increased academic achievement, a broader range of employment options and longer-term economic self-sufficiency. Critical to the Foundation’s strategy is partnering with organizations addressing systematic inequities and providing opportunities for low-income young people who face additional barriers to success and who are less likely to be prepared for college or careers. The Foundation pursues its mission with the meaningful engagement of the Centerbridge team who is actively involved through opportunities ranging from selecting grant partners to providing direct volunteer service.
The Centerbridge Foundation is in search of a Senior Associate to help manage the day-to-day activities of the Foundation. This includes the management of relationships with the Foundation’s current and prospective grant partners, assisting with employee engagement and providing support on several firm initiatives as detailed below. The Foundation seeks an individual with relevant experience who has shown a demonstrated commitment to the nonprofit and/or philanthropic sector with a particular focus on education. This position will report to the Head of Foundation.
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who is self-motivated and can work autonomously but thrives on being part of a team that is committed to providing philanthropic support to high-performing nonprofit organizations and engaging the Firm in strategic and impactful initiatives across our communities. Areas of responsibility may include:
Partnership Grant Program
- Develop grant partner pipeline and conduct due diligence on potential grant partners
- Evaluate reports submitted by current grant partners
- Draft proposal and progress report summaries for the Foundation Executive Committee
- Prepare Committee materials and other internal and external communications related to grant partners
- Establish methods for quantifying the impact of a grant partner’s and the portfolio’s progress
- Manage ongoing correspondence with potential candidates and existing grant recipients
- Identify additional ways to support grant partners, including but not limited to: leadership development, research assistance and attendance at sector-based events
Firm Initiatives & Engagement
- Enhance communication strategy which may include development of newsletters, annual report and surveys
- Support partners of the CUNY Futures in Finance initiative led by Centerbridge, including program planning and implementation
- Work with the Executive Committee on due diligence needs, grant selection and providing ongoing updates
- Support, where needed, on coordination of employee engagement opportunities (such as Service Week, periodic volunteer events, holiday initiative, orientations for new employees)
- Research and build knowledge on trends and opportunities in the Foundation’s funding areas
- Conduct research on best practices (within grantmaking and corporate philanthropy fields) related to approaches, public policy, and impact assessment
- Attend informational meetings with organizations, individuals and other firms
- Manage special projects as needed
A track record of academic success; an undergraduate degree is required
- Five to eight years of experience working at a nonprofit and/or philanthropic grantmaking organization
- Strong communication skills, including excellent writing and presentation skills
- Proficiency in MS Office including PowerPoint, Excel and Word; comfortable developing PowerPoints for review by senior stakeholders
- Deep commitment to the Foundation’s mission and a strong sense of personal integrity
- Immense curiosity and drive to stay current on trends, and innovative in thinking within the education and/or youth development field; broad knowledge of social problems, programs and policies
- A self-starter who is thorough and can work independently, but enjoys being part of a team and can think strategically
- Organized and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with ability to deliver high-quality work on short timelines
- Customer service orientation and strong interpersonal skills; ability to influence with and without authority and comfortable acting as a thought partner in a range of situations with colleagues of all levels of seniority
- Willing to work behind the scenes; views success as a product of the team
It is expected that the annual base salary range for this role is $80,000 - $115,000. Base salary is one component of Centerbridge’s competitive total rewards package which typically includes discretionary compensation, comprehensive health benefits, and paid time off. Other long-term incentives may also be available to certain eligible employees.