Prudential was founded on the belief that financial security should be within reach for everyone. It’s a
challenge we’ve embraced for more than one hundred and forty years. A strong sense of social responsibility
has remained embedded in the company, guiding our efforts to help people now and in future generations
achieve peace of mind and a more secure future.
In keeping with that tradition, Prudential strives to be a catalyst for meaningful, authentic and positive
change to achieve shared prosperity for vulnerable and underserved individuals and communities in the
United States and around the world. Prudential annually invests more than $300 million in impact
investments, strategic grants and contributions to develop long-term partnerships strengthening
communities and creating pathways for all to achieve financial and social mobility.
Prudential’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) group oversees partnerships to nonprofit organizations
and is responsible for the development and implementation of its philanthropic strategy through grants and
corporate contributions to drive social impact that complement business objectives in the following areas:
- Improving workforce and employer systems to better prepare and connect financially vulnerable people to quality jobs.
- Increasing the availability and utilization of wealth-building and protection products and services for underserved and financially vulnerable populations.
- Transforming urban systems to drive inclusive economic growth to ensure economic development practices produce equitable outcomes and opportunities for mobility for underserved populations.
Prudential CSR seeks a Program Director, Inclusive Communities, to lead the company’s strategy on driving inclusive economic growth through place-based strategies and a portfolio of strategic partnerships. The $10-13M portfolio seeks to improve the effectiveness of public systems and coordinates key stakeholders to increase economic opportunities for the most vulnerable and underserved in communities, particularly in Newark. The Program Director will be responsible for the following programmatic objectives:
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight for a portfolio of grants and contributions that advance placemaking strategies to support inclusive economic growth and Prudential’s role as an anchor institution in its headquarter city of Newark, NJ.
- Develop and cultivate partnerships with public and private stakeholders to extend the impact of the program area and company’s grantmaking.
- Establish funding priorities, program goals & objectives and manage program budget allocations
- Maintain strong working relationships with grantees through regular communications, anticipating challenges in meeting deliverables and providing technical assistance in execution of their grant deliverables.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with internal stakeholders to help drive more inclusive business practices in Newark, NJ.
- Serve as subject matter expert maintaining a breadth of knowledge, including research, about current trends, emerging issues, policy interventions, and innovations in the program’s areas of focus to enhance the effectiveness of program strategy and the engagement of senior leadership.
- Build and lead networks/coalitions with nonprofit partners, field experts, policymakers and other funders when necessary to accomplish the program objectives.
- Manage a Program Manager dedicated to the execution of the program portfolio.
- Research, develop and present new ideas for strategic initiatives to have broader impact on the Prudential’s social impact strategies.
- Support the evaluation of the Prudential’s grantmaking strategy.
- Participate in the preparation of internal and external communication materials including but not limited to board materials, issue briefs, the annual report, website content, speaking engagements, proposal guidelines and press releases.
- Represent Prudential’s CSR team at both internal and external events and stakeholder convenings.
Professional Experience and Qualities
The experience and qualities of an ideal candidate include:
- A minimum of 8-10 years of professional experience in relevant field or interdisciplinary experience and 5-7 years having accountability for strategy is preferred.
- Strong record of achievement and relevant experience in the nonprofit, public, or private sector.
- A substantive knowledge of the fields and issues related to inclusive economic place-based strategies such as economic and community development, and/or public policy.
- Advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
- A demonstrated grasp of core principles of social justice, sustainability, equity and empathy with experience working with diverse communities across race, class, ethnic, political and geographic boundaries.
- An understanding of public policy and political processes, and the role of the not-for- profit community in driving change.
- Experience strategizing and working with the public sector, and exposure to economic development,and design and planning issues is highly valuable.
- Experience working either internally or in partnership with anchor employers in diverse communities.
- Demonstrated experience in building effective and strategic partnerships.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and highly developed listening skills, and an appetite for writing and public speaking.
- Demonstrated commitment to Prudential’s mission of inclusion and equity.
- Willingness to work across programs and business units in Prudential to develop complementary strategies, grant making priorities and learning opportunities.
- A track record as a strategic, systems-oriented thinker.
- Excellent intellectual abilities and analytic skills coupled with pragmatism and a willingness to share in both “big picture” thinking and administrative tasks.
- The highest level of personal and professional integrity and a reputation for a balanced, nonideological approach.
- A willingness to challenge conventional thinking coupled with the ability to collaborate effectively, listen well, and encourage dialogue.
- Strengths in relationship building, teamwork, and collaboration. Outstanding relationship builder with interpersonal skills necessary to gain the trust and confidence of Prudential colleagues, grantees, and professional colleagues in the field.
- Ability to thrive when working under deadlines; strong project, time, and budget management skills;and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail.
- A willingness to travel up to 20% of the time.
Please apply for the role at http://jobs.prudential.com/job-description.php?jobReqNo=CSR00008.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and
Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is
focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's
well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of
time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities,
retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse
associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as
professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our
history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about doing business with Prudential.