About The Pershing Square Foundation: The Pershing Square Foundation (PSF), a New York-based family foundation, supports exceptional leaders and innovative organizations that tackle important social, health, and environmental issues and deliver scalable and sustainable impact. For more information, visit: http://www.pershingsquarefoundation.org/.
The Pershing Square Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination in its employment practices. The company considers applicants based on qualifications and without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, genetic information, citizenship, age, disability, or any other protected status under applicable federal, state, or local law.
About The Position
Title: Program Assistant
PSF is seeking a Program Assistant to support the team on a variety of projects across its portfolio. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated interest in the non-profit sector, a can-do spirit and a desire to contribute positively to the culture and knowledge of our small, entrepreneurial organization. In this role, you will be responsible for assisting in grants management, communications and general program support, working closely with the Program Director. This includes owning event management and scheduling, as well as tracking impact metrics and driving multiple aspects of the grantmaking process. As a member of our team, you will have the rare opportunity to work on innovative philanthropy and social investment in exciting areas including the health, the environment and social justice.
The Pershing Square Foundation has implemented a hybrid work model, which requires staff to be in the office three days each week and allows for two days of remote work per week.
- Assist in coordinating events and implementing new programming, including logistics, communications and serving as on-site (or virtual) support.
- Schedule and prepare for PSF advisory board meetings; work with the board and Program Director to plan meetings and other board activities with minimal scheduling conflicts. Assist Program Director in the collection, management and circulation of presentations and relevant materials to the board prior to meetings. Draft meeting minutes.
- Manage all aspects of relevant events, such as board dinners, team off-site meetings and additional programming, including scheduling, booking venues, drafting and sending invitations, managing invite lists, etc.
- Research potential grantees and program areas. Attend relevant meetings to capture insights and note-take to support program team.
Grants Management and Administration
- Support President and Program Directors to manage their calendar of appointments, meetings, and work-related travel. This may require some research on organizations in addition to administrative tasks.
- Assist in managing the pipeline of grantees and investments.
- Assist in the design and execution of grant or investment deliverables and program review.
- Assist in the oversight of funded research, including soliciting and tracking annual progress reports and monitoring and evaluating other impact metrics, such as publications, funding leveraged, etc.
- Coordinate with the team that handles finance and accounting for grants and investments.
- Develop, coordinate and manage all internal and external meetings associated with the programming, oftentimes juggling competing priorities. Must be detail-oriented, with a clear understanding of meeting requirements.
- Manage administrative aspects of the grantmaking process, including data-tracking for grant making as well as reviewing key documents and organizing information, maintaining the CRM database to ensure contacts are up to date in CRM software (Salesforce).
- Support the Program Director in drafting and copyediting social media posts and press releases.
- Monitor and compile information on various organizations and initiatives. Share insights with key staff and research new areas of focus.
- Maintain a database of contacts in relevant and new areas of work.
- Assist with additional communications tasks, as needed.
In addition to the above, there may be ad hoc projects and additional administrative and programmatic responsibilities assigned as part of the Program Assistant role.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two years’ of work experience in a related field preferred. We are open to considering truly extraordinary candidates who are in earlier stages of their career.
- A passion for research and non-profit work.
- Driven by the highest ethical standards and values.
- Strong research, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent communicator with impeccable verbal and written skills and proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
- Intellectually curious with strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Strong learning orientation with commitment to continuous improvement.
- Highly motivated, self-starter who is able to work effectively both independently and on a team.
- Highly organized and detail oriented; able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, with no reluctance to seek guidance on priorities when needed. Strong project management skills and strong sense of personal initiative.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills: maturity, courtesy, tact and patience; energetic and dedicated team player with a sense of humor and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Zoom and Windows Operating Systems, and the ability to learn new applications quickly. Experience with CRM software (Salesforce) is preferred.
Additional Qualifications/Skills that will be helpful
- Experience in planning and executing meetings/events is a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce or SurveyMonkey Apply (or a similar grantmaking platform) is a plus.
- Experience with social media posts and press releases is a plus.
PSF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates, please send a cover letter and resume to Glenn Ellington, firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Program Assistant Application” in the subject line.