Drawing on Bessemer’s more than 100-year history of advising wealthy families, our Philanthropic Advisory team delivers best-in-class expertise to clients, whether philanthropy is a longstanding commitment or a new endeavor. Bessemer currently manages nearly $7 billion in philanthropic assets representing private foundations, public charities, and donor-advised funds. Collectively our clients give nearly $350 million in grants and charitable contributions each year.
The Summer Associate will support the Philanthropic Advisory team on several timely projects. Projects will include client-related research; knowledge management and content creation on a variety of topics in philanthropy, for both internal and external audiences; strategic internal initiatives; and more.
The Summer Associate must be based out of either the New York or Los Angeles offices, supporting internal advisory teams nationally. Qualifications include a minimum of 2-3 years of direct experience in philanthropy, fundraising, grantmaking, and/or wealth management. The internship length will be approximately eight to ten weeks from June through August 2020.
- Support on special projects that involve:
- Developing internal resources, tools, and training modules for colleagues on timely philanthropic topics, trends, and frequently asked questions
- Identifying prospective foundation and endowment clients
- Researching and planning internal and external philanthropy events
- Support on complex client engagements that involve:
- Conducting issue-area research, landscape analyses, and due diligence on organizations
- Aggregating and streamlining the delivery of technical guidance on foundation governance, tax issues, gift agreements, and self-dealing concerns
- Identifying opportunities for client engagement such as nonprofit board service, relevant trainings, and volunteering offerings
- Compliance with and sensitivity to confidentiality across all aspects of working in a multi-family office setting
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree and must be currently pursuing Master’s degree in relevant field (business, nonprofit management, social entrepreneurship, public policy, law, etc.)
- 2-3 years of related experience in philanthropy, fundraising, grantmaking, and/or wealth management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word
- Proficiency in Salesforce or similar CRM system preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, responsible for multiple priorities and projects
- Collaborative; comfortable working on a small team
- Exercises good judgement and spirit of curiosity
- Demonstrated alignment with Bessemer’s core values: client-centricity, collaboration, proactivity, stewardship, and integrity.
Application Requirements and Deadline:
- Application must include a one page resume and one page cover letter
- Applications must be submitted on or before Tuesday, December 17th at 11:59PM EST
- Bessemer Trust offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Please use the links belore to apply for the position.
Bessemer is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.