The New York Health Foundation (NYHealth) is seeking applications for an Office Manager. Directly supporting the Vice President of Finance and Operations, the position is an ideal fit for a candidate who is mission-oriented, creative, very organized, dependable, and collaborative. In this role, you will join our dedicated staff of 23 in a collegial atmosphere and support our work to improve the health of New Yorkers.
NYHealth is a private and independent foundation dedicated to improving the health of all New Yorkers, especially people of color and others who have been historically marginalized. NYHealth began operations in 2006; today, it has a portfolio of approximately $300 million in assets which support our operations and grantmaking.
The Foundation is committed to making grants, but also to making a difference beyond grant dollars: informing health care policy and practice; spreading effective programs to improve the health system and make it more equitable; serving as a convener of health leaders across the State; and providing technical assistance to grantees and partners. The Foundation concentrates its initiatives on Primary Care; Healthy Food, Healthy Lives; and Veterans’ Health. NYHealth also engages in responsive grantmaking through a Special Projects Fund.
The Office Manager provides support to ensure the office functions efficiently and that the environment is welcoming for staff and visitors. Responsibilities include all administrative aspects of the NYC office, as well as general operations including working with building staff to address facilities needs; managing vendors for services and supplies, equipment and supplies purchasing, and repairs and replacement as needed; and coordinating with consultants to address IT-related and A/V-related issues. Reporting to the VP of Finance and Operations, the Office Manager provides both in-office and remote support to staff currently working on a hybrid schedule.
The Office Manager will be responsible for:
- Manage the physical office space, including arranging for any necessary repairs and maintenance.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with building staff (security, engineers, building management, and others).
- Serve as main point of contact with building staff and vendors on security, lights/electrical, HVAC, cleaning/janitorial, and kitchen equipment.
- Attend building-wide meetings and educate Foundation staff on security and emergency procedures; serve as fire warden for office.
Office Services and Reception
- Manage repair and maintenance of office equipment, including copiers and printers.
- Take periodic inventory and order office supplies as needed.
- Maintain postage and handle all mailing/shipping needs for staff; accept deliveries.
- Serve as main receptionist by greeting and announcing visitors (limited during hybrid schedule).
- Manage catering for office events; identify caterers, place and receive orders, manage set up and clean up (limited during hybrid schedule).
- Ensure kitchen is clean, neat, and well-stocked with supplies (coffee, tea, etc.) as needed.
- Receive and direct incoming general phone calls.
- Sort and distribute mail.
- Create a welcoming environment for staff; orient new staff with office tour and introduction to office procedures.
- Update and distribute staff contact lists and maintain emergency contact forms.
- Assist subtenants with facilities issues as needed (we currently host a subtenant with six staff members).
- Manage phone system, including maintaining and ordering phones as needed; train staff on use of phone system.
- Coordinate with A/V service provider to maintain A/V equipment; train staff on use of A/V equipment; troubleshoot A/V issues as needed (limited during hybrid schedule).
- Coordinate with IT service provider to ensure staff needs are met for computer issues (laptops and desktops); troubleshoot computer issues when possible.
- Work with VP of Finance and Operations and IT service provider with organization-wide IT projects, implementation, and administration.
- Work with IT provider and VP of Finance and Operations to order and set up new computer equipment as needed.
- Train staff on basic computer procedures; provide or facilitate basic technical support.
- Participate in strategy and budget meetings with IT service provider and VP of Finance and Operations to ensure effective technology support for office.
- Maintain IT and operations manual.
- Assist VP of Finance and Operations with business continuity and disaster recovery planning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
The Office Manager must have demonstrated superb organizational skills, collegiality, dependability, ability to prioritize multiple tasks, and comfort and skills with technology.
Other qualifications include:
- Minimum of five years relevant experience in an administrative or office management role that includes managing technology.
- Strong problem-solving skills; a solution-oriented attitude.
- Ability to prioritize and complete work in an environment with multiple demands and interruptions.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with a variety of people.
- Flexibility to adapt comfortably to a changing environment (hybrid work, various pandemic-related procedures).
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $70,000–$80,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
NYHealth offers a generous package of benefits, including employer-paid health insurance; dental, vision, and life insurance; employer contribution to a 403(b) retirement account; professional development and tuition assistance; and wellness and commuting benefits, among others. NYHealth is committed to mentoring and providing learning opportunities.
This position is hybrid remote/in-person at the Foundation’s New York City office. Currently staff work in the office two days per week (Mondays and Tuesdays), but it is expected that this position will require additional days in the office as needed.
Candidates are encouraged to describe their skill sets and experience in light of the above qualifications. Send cover letter and resumé to HR@nyhealthfoundation.org and include “Office Manager” in the subject line.
The New York Health Foundation welcomes applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and values having a diverse staff. Employment opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.