Based in New York, the Measurement and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will be an integral part of a growing M&E function at a dynamic philanthropic organization. The M&E Officer will report to the Director, Measurement and Evaluation, and will work closely with ELMA’s program, finance, legal, and grants management teams across ELMA’s offices. The ability to be an active and collaborative member of a global team is essential to success in this role.
About ELMA: From locations in New York, Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Kampala, The ELMA Philanthropies develops and manages strategies, investments, and partnerships for The ELMA Group of Foundations. ELMA invests globally, with an emphasis on improving the lives of children in Africa. A full description of ELMA’s foundations, focus areas, and approach to philanthropy can be found on our website: www.elmaphilanthropies.org
The ELMA Foundation’s mission is to improve the lives of African children and youth through support of sustainable efforts to relieve poverty, advance education, and promote health. It is primarily active across eastern and southern Africa. Its current focus areas include: building the workforce for children; maternal and newborn care; early childhood development; pediatric HIV; neglected tropical diseases; and private sector solutions to health and education.
The ELMA Relief Foundation’s mission is to provide post-disaster emergency assistance throughout the globe with special attention to the needs of children, who often suffer disproportionately in the aftermath of such tragedies.
The ELMA Growth Foundation’s mission is to invest exclusively in Africa in the growth or expansion of initiatives focused on the economic and social development of low-income individuals, families, and communities.
The ELMA Music Foundation’s mission is to provide philanthropic assistance to organizations in South Africa, the UK, and the USA that either provide music education to underprivileged children and youth or provide assistance to members of the music community with personal and financial hardship.
The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation’s mission is to expand vaccine and immunization coverage for children globally.
The ELMA South Africa Foundation funds selected programs not aimed specifically at children, within the country of South Africa.
Support program teams on measurement and evaluation
- Work with program teams, support the development of Measures of Success for key strategic grants
- Help ensure appropriate monitoring and evaluation activities for grants, especially those supporting program scale-up or that seek to influence policy and practice
- Develop tools to help program staff understand the potential and performance of individual grants or grant clusters
- Where necessary, support program teams with evidence reviews to ensure that program approaches are evidence based
Maintain and optimize ELMA’s outcome tracking database and tools
- Maintain and update ELMA’s outcomes database regularly
- Conduct analyses for regular reviews of program outcomes data for program teams as needed
- Work with Director of M&E to continually improve the way that outcomes data is captured throughout ELMA’s grant development and management processes
Support the Director of M&E in commissioning and managing evaluations for grants or grant clusters
- Craft terms of reference for evaluations, in collaboration with program teams and other stakeholders
- Review evaluation protocols and plans
- Maintain regular communication with M&E partners on evaluation progress
Support evaluation dissemination efforts
- Work with program staff and senior management teams to ensure the results of external evaluations are effectively used by ELMA, our grantees and partners to advocate for specific changes in policy, funding, or practice
- Work with Director of M&E to organize internal learning sessions for ELMA staff to share and discuss learning from grants and evaluations
- Create knowledge products (summaries, PowerPoint presentations) for internal and external dissemination of evaluation results to different audiences
- Work with the Communications team on internal and external dissemination efforts
- Demonstrated experience in M&E, data-driven policy implementation or advocacy, and implementation research
- Understanding of best practices in social sector measurement, standards of evidence for health and education, and impact and cost effectiveness assessment
- At least five years of relevant work experience in measurement and evaluation or related fields such as non-profit management, research, consulting, philanthropy, investing, or public policy
- Graduate degree in M&E, public health, development, business administration, economics, statistics, public policy, education or related field
- Experience in M&E in ELMA’s focus areas for health investments (maternal and newborn health, pediatric HIV, Neglected Tropical Diseases) strongly preferred
- Proficient in quantitative analysis and data management
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Ability to communicate technical insights to non-technical audiences
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent writing, analytical, and presentation skills in English
- Ability to work non-traditional hours and travel internationally
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Ability to manage confidential information
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits package.
The ELMA Philanthropies Services (U.S.) Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.