The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Helmsley strives to make a meaningful impact in its focus areas, matching its significant financial assets with a rigorous and results-oriented approach. Helmsley is committed to close and productive partnerships with its grantees, as well as with other funders and impact players in government, academia, and the private sector who share its interests and goals. We believe that geography should not dictate the quality of health care available to those who need it. Above all, Helmsley endeavors to be forward-thinking in every aspect of its work and will take risks that others cannot or will not take when the risk/reward trade-off warrants.
Since 2008, when Helmsley began its active grant making, it has committed more than $2 billion. For more information, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The Manager, Investment Accounting will be responsible for the accuracy and completeness of internal controls, US GAAP accounting, and reporting related to Helmsley’s investment activities. The Manager will work closely with the Investment Office (IO), the Master Custodial Bank (MCB), and investment managers and other advisors to ensure the timely and accurate execution of investment transactions. This role requires a partnership philosophy with internal and external Helmsley parties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Investment Accounting Activities
- Collaborate extensively internally (with Investment Office, Controller Function, General Counsel’s office, et al.) and externally (with MCB), investment managers and other service providers) to ensure internal control and compliance processes and the accurate and timely processing and accounting of investment transactions
- With CFO, be primary liaison with Investment Office on accounting and operational matters to ensure effective and efficient issue resolution
- Provide accurate and timely input to the annual financial statement and performance reporting
- Review investment valuation and reporting of portfolio results
- Manage the Investment Department Bonus Plan, including reviewing investment returns
- Provide subject matter expertise and stay abreast of changes in investment-related accounting standards
- Stay current with evolving accounting, technology, and reporting considerations of investment products
- Manage the Finance Department’s accounting and finance responsibilities for Program Related Investments (PRIs)
- Manage the Investment section of the Employee Benefit Plan audit
- Provide research and analytical support to senior management and/or outside consultants, as necessary
- Prepare reports and surveys requested by membership organizations, regulatory agencies, and others
Investment Operations and Treasury
- Review the accurate and timely controls, processing and accounting of investment transactions, including:
- Settlement of trades
- Monitoring the movement of securities
- Cash and position reconciliations, accruals, etc.
- Execution of capital calls, receipt of distributions and other capital activities
- Other shadow accounting activities as appropriate
- Review/reconcile monthly and quarterly management fees
- Provide appropriate schedules to the Tax Department for Helmsley tax filings
- Prepare monthly line of credit borrowing base calculation
- Manage direct staff and non-direct staff for the execution of various initiatives resulting in high-performance teams
- Oversee MCB relationship and activities in a manner to successfully execute on Investment responsibilities with a specific focus on control, processing and accounting
- Work with CFO and Controller in overseeing Helmsley’s banking relationship and activities with specific focus on the line of credit
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in transaction-heavy investment accounting/operations environments, e.g., hedge fund, alternative investment organization, pension fund, endowment
- CPA required
- Ability to “helicopter” from big picture, strategic issues to more granular levels of detail as needed
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, corporate enterprise wide general ledger systems, and MCB systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional analytic skills
- Strong attention to detail and a firm commitment to meeting deadlines
- Ability to work independently, handle and prioritize multiple time-sensitive activities; excellent judgment and problem solving
- Proven ability to manage multiple stakeholders to surface and resolve issues
- Achieve trusted-advisor status by displaying investment accounting expertise
- Comfort presenting internally and at external conferences to highlight Helmsley’s brand as a thought leader
The Manager, Investment Accounting position is based at Helmsley’s main office in New York City. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (in Word or PDF format) at www.helmsleytrust.org/jobs-helmsley. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Helmsley does not provide visa sponsorship for employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.