Job Announcement: Intern for The ELMA Philanthropies Services (U.S.) Inc.
Based in New York City, this paid internship position will provide overall administrative support to the program team of The ELMA Music Foundation from mid-June through mid-August of 2019. Reporting to Director, Music Programs, s/he will work closely with Program Officer, Music. S/he will be joining a collaborative and dynamic team. The ability to be a self-starter and team player is essential to success in this role.
With offices in New York City, Cape Town, Johannesburg and Kampala, ELMA Philanthropies Services develops program strategies, identifies and explores grant and other investing opportunities, monitors investment performance, and establishes philanthropic relationships for The ELMA Group of Foundations. This Group includes The ELMA Foundation, The ELMA Relief Foundation, The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation, The ELMA Music Foundation, The ELMA Growth Foundation, and The ELMA South Africa Foundation. ELMA Philanthropies is largely focused on providing these services to the largest foundation within the group, The ELMA Foundation. A full description of the activities of each Foundation can be found on our website: www.elmaphilanthropies.org.
The ELMA Foundation’s mission is to improve the lives of African children and youth through support of sustainable efforts to relieve poverty, advance education, and promote health. It is currently active across eastern and southern Africa.
The ELMA Growth Foundation’s mission is to invest exclusively in Africa in the growth or expansion of initiatives focused on the economic and social development of low-income individuals, families, and communities.
The ELMA Relief Foundation’s mission is to provide post-disaster emergency assistance throughout the globe with special attention to the needs of children, who often suffer disproportionately in the aftermath of such tragedies.
The ELMA South Africa Foundation funds selected programs not aimed specifically at children, within the country of South Africa.
The ELMA Music Foundation’s mission is to provide philanthropic assistance to organizations in South Africa, the UK, and the USA that either provide music education to underprivileged children and youth or provide assistance to members of the music community who undergo personal and financial hardship.
The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation’s mission is to expand vaccine and immunization coverage for children globally.
- Maintain records in the ELMA’s grants administration system for Music
- Support the program teams with processing grant awards, reports, and due diligence on prospective grantees as well as capturing data and metrics on grantee progress
- Assist with production of board books including proofreading
- Handle travel arrangements including flights, hotels, ground transport, itineraries, and lodging arrangements for the Music team
- Maintain meeting and travel schedules for the Program Officer, Music and Director, Music Programs
- Support meeting logistics, including venue selection, participant attendance, assembly of documents and audiovisual equipment, and arranging catering and set up of meeting rooms
- Maintain a professional and welcoming first contact to staff and all visitors
- Complete other administrative tasks as needed in support of the program teams and Office Manager
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong reading and writing skills, including document summary
- Ability to complete tasks promptly, with precision, and to closely follow instructions as well as being proactive in anticipating what is required in a given situation
- Ability to maintain the utmost care and discretion surrounding all work matters and confidential documentation
- Ability to be flexible and available to address needs as they arise throughout the day, especially concerning time sensitive matters
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to communicate regularly and clearly and to ask questions when unsure
- Quick learner and self-starter with ability to take initiative
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work comfortably with copy machines and printers
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Fluency in English; excellent oral and written communication skills
This is a paid internship. The ELMA Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.