Carnegie Corporation of New York ("the Corporation") was established by Andrew Carnegie in 1911 “to promote the advancement and diffusion of knowledge and understanding.” It is one of the oldest, largest, and most influential American grantmaking foundations.
The Corporation seeks a highly-motivated, experienced Information Technology professional with a creative and problem-solving mindset to serve as the point of contact for the I.T. department’s technology service requests and problem-solving activities and workstation deployments. This position will be responsible for conducting day-to-day administration, oversight and support of the organization’s technology infrastructure, including virtual and physical servers, backup and recovery processes, workstations, firewalls, storage and wired and wireless network components. Additionally, this person will be responsible for infrastructure-related projects as a lead, individual contributor and collaborator with external vendors and departmental staff and will assist with employee IT orientation/training.
- Administer the organization’s virtualized server (VMware) environment. Manage all virtual machines, associated policies, user access and integrations. Evaluate and apply security patches and coordinate version upgrades. Monitor physical servers and explore opportunities for increased virtualization and cloud migration.
- Create and manage schedules for the back-up of data and applications (HP 3Par and Unitrends). Remediate back-up job failures. Perform recovery testing to ensure platforms/data/applications can be restored properly and efficiently and business continuity planning objectives are met.
- Perform infrastructure-related projects as both an individual lead and team member with outside consultants and departmental peers. This includes project scoping and implementation activities such as configuration and hardware installation, encompassing the organization’s local and wide area network, switches/routers, servers, firewalls and other components.
- Provide front-line support to end users on a variety of technical, issues. Respond to Help Desk software (Zen Desk) tickets, emails, telephone calls and verbal, staff requests for support in a timely manner. Research, document, and directly resolve issues. Communicate status to users on a regular basis. Identify recurring issues and highlight to colleagues within the I.T. group. Serve as administrator for the Zen Desk application. Provide agent training, create new groups and deploy upgrades.
- Provision, maintain and support laptops, desktops and tablet devices leveraging imaging software (SmartDeploy, Addigy) and Desktop Authority. Troubleshoot issues and provide user assistance with both hardware and software applications. Participate in the identification and distribution of patches and security updates (Automox).
- Monitor network performance and address any stability, performance and security concerns, in conjunction with other group members and third-party support. Install network hardware, such as access points, as required. Investigate alerts from our on-premises (HP 3Par) storage array.
- Provide ongoing administration for Active Directory and Office 365.
- Conduct in-house training for staff on Corporation hardware and applications. Author and maintain relevant, user documentation.
- In coordination with Office Services, deliver teleconferencing, presentation coordination and other, technical support for meetings, as required. This includes serving as primary support for virtual (Zoom) and on-premises Trustee meetings.
- Participate in the assessment, research, and remediation of alerts from our security platforms.
- In coordination with other department members, conduct evaluations of new technologies and vendor alternatives.
- Maintain I.T. hardware inventory.
Qualifications – Must Have:
- Minimum of four years’ experience in a technical, infrastructure and end user support and problem resolution role, including use of a leading ticketing platform. This should include significant background in troubleshooting and remediating issues both remotely and on site, with an emphasis on consistently providing the highest level of support to the end user community.
- In-depth, hands-on experience with the set-up and provisioning of Windows 10 workstations, ongoing Active Directory administration (account additions/deletions, folder management, assignment of privileges, etc.) and Office 365 support.
- Solid comprehension of wired/wireless networks (Cisco preferred), storage, backup/recovery, security platforms and other infrastructure functions, operations and support requirements.
- Direct experience administering a virtualization platform, including creating/deleting/migrating virtual machines, performing upgrades, capacity planning and troubleshooting (VMWare desired).
- Direct experience performing physical server management functions.
- Experience administering a Help Desk ticketing system.
- High motivation – capable of working well independently as well as part of a team.
- Very strong analytical, problem-solving and communications skills. Ability to adeptly handle multiple priorities concurrently.
Additional Qualifications – Desired:
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Management Information Systems or related discipline from an accredited institution.
- Experience supporting Mac desktops and laptops
- Knowledge of ITIL methodologies.
- Experience with managing Virtual Machines and Virtual Networks on Cloud Infrastructure platforms such as Azure or AWS.
Benefits and Perks:
- Employee paid health insurance; including medical, dental, life, long term care, and short-term disability, plus a substantial contribution to a retirement plan account, and a generous paid time off program.
- Corporate discounts including gym memberships
Carnegie Corporation of New York is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce and is firmly committed to complying with all federal, state and local equal employment opportunity (“EEOC”) laws. The Carnegie Corporation of New York strictly prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of the individual’s race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, height and weight, disability, and any other characteristic protected by law. The Corporation abides by all applicable rules and regulations in its recruiting and employment practices including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws.
Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.