Position: Foundation Associate – Viking Global Foundation
Location: Greenwich, CT (55 Railroad Ave) and New York, NY (280 Park Ave)
Viking Global Investors LP is a global investment firm founded in 1999, with offices in Greenwich, New York City, San Francisco, Hong Kong and London. The Firm manages approximately $24 billion in capital through long-short, long-only, and hybrid liquid-illiquid strategies.
The Viking Global Foundation was established in 2009. Our mission is to support and promote effective employee philanthropy through grantmaking, volunteerism and education. We make grants to organizations and initiatives that aim to break the cycle of poverty by promoting early childhood development. Foundation staff actively engage a 20+ person grants committee in all aspects of the grantmaking. Our volunteerism and matching gift programs span all Viking offices and a variety of issues areas, with an aim to support and educate employees about philanthropy in ways that are meaningful to them.
The Associate reports to the Executive Director of the Foundation and works with the Foundation team to implement the vision and mission of the organization and foster a spirit of philanthropy among Viking’s staff.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Support and, ultimately, manage employee engagement initiatives across all offices, including event creation, coordination, logistics, communications, internal and external partner outreach, and event execution
- Develop and manage relationships with non-profit organizations
- Coordinate annual 200 person Service Day events
- Excel-based analysis on participation, budgets, and other items
- Conduct primary research within the social and corporate citizenship sectors
- Be knowledgeable about community and national issues and trends that have an impact on the work of the Foundation
Matching Gifts Program
- Administer the Matching Gift program: data input, request review, record keeping, compliance checks, payment coordination and mailing
- Collaborate with Accounts Payable team during check processing
- Manage matching gifs Smart Simple software including license renewals and software updates
- Provide matching gift analysis and reports annually for Board meeting and upon request throughout the year
- Update the Foundation’s page on the intranet quarterly, more often as needed
- Maintain ongoing Foundation documents including new employee emails, orientation packets, and monthly staff-wide emails
- Assist Program Officer with annual Foundation audit
- Perform ad hoc projects and research, as needed by the Foundation Team
The ideal candidate will have:
- An undergraduate degree with a record of academic success
- 2+ years of work experience, preferably within CSR, non-profit sector, development or event planning
- Experience working with a customer relationship management systems or grant management systems is preferred
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel required
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred but not required
- Willingness to participate in occasional weekend and evening volunteer events; must be willing to travel to Connecticut office 1-2 times per week
The ideal candidate possesses the following traits:
- Strong interpersonal skills: a team-player able to communicate with internal and external contacts of all backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills: strong written and verbal communication.
- Proactivity: an ability to recognize, anticipate and address needs with a strong sense of urgency.
- Creative yet process-oriented: the individual should have outstanding organizational skills, a strong focus on process, the ability to multi-task and prioritize, and a willingness to take ownership of and be accountable for a variety of tasks.
- Discretion: consistently exercise sound judgement, particularly around confidential information.
Viking Global Investors