The Netherland-America Foundation, Inc.
The Netherland-America Foundation, Inc. (the “NAF”) is searching for candidates for the position of Executive Director.
Founded in 1921, the NAF is a foundation supporting business, educational and cultural exchange between the Netherlands and the United States. NAF activities provide donors and recipients with access to a broad network of educational, cultural and business organizations fostering relations between the USA and Netherlands.
In 2019, the NAF supported the following activities:
- Funded 14 NAF-Fulbright Fellowships
- Provided interest-free loans to an additional six students
- Sponsored 38 internships through the Dutch2USA internship program
- Supported 30 exhibitions, performances and other cultural events
- Promoted and funded over 70 business, cultural and social networking events
- Supported 31 Dutch educational and cultural institutions with their fundraising in the USA
Reporting to the Chair of the NAF, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility.
The NAF is an active organization. We seek a visionary Executive Director who can translate our mission into programming and who is committed to making a difference. For example, 2021 is our centennial, and we intend to leverage this opportunity into ambitious publicity and fundraising campaigns highlighting our history and allowing us to expand our programming.
The NAF maintains a small office staffed by experienced professionals. Given the small team and the volume of activities, the Executive Director is expected maintain our mission as well as coordinate events, and maintain a hands-on approach managing the team.
- Lead the mission and vision of the organization
- Develop and implement strategic plans, based on data-driven projections and financials
- Participate in identifying and cultivating corporate, individual and foundation sponsors. Oversee the development and implementation of a Donor Development plan
- Build a high-performing team and play an active role in attracting, retaining and developing a best-in-class staff by setting objectives and coaching for excellence
- Manage the NAF’s budget and ensure that it is a financially sustainable organization with the resources to meet current and projected program growth
- Identify and implement cost-effective ways to deliver state-of-the-art programs
- Define and document processes that make our organization efficient and scalable
- Leverage technology to make our organization scalable and efficient
- Cultivate excellent relationships with media; increase the NAF's presence in the social media
- Operate as the NAF’s public figure. Reach out to the community to present the NAF, its vision and services through public presentations and by attending relevant gatherings
- Manage the Board and Executive committees
- Ensuring that Board committees and efforts are well-organized and funded
- Inform on internal organization matters, including relevant staffing, funding and program success and priorities
- Keep NAF current and at the forefront of philanthropic organizations by implementing best practices.
Qualifications: All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching and relationship management experience. Specific requirements include:
- Advanced degree. Experience leading a non-profit preferred but not required
- 5-10 years of experience leading a team through a changing environment
- Passion, positive attitude and self-directed
- Organized, with an ability to multi-task. Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, with an innovative approach to business planning
- Commitment to quality programs, processes and data-driven program evaluation
- Understanding of the latest technology, processes and best practices applied to run a non-profit organization and stay connected with membership
- Basic knowledge of non-profit CRM systems
- Ability to coach staff and volunteers, manage and develop high-performance teams. Set and achieve strategic objectives. Manage a budget within limited means
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
- Experience with working with a Board of Directors, with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations and fundraising experience, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and oral communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required
- Knowledge of the Dutch language is preferred
Application Deadline: September 4, 2020
Tentative Start Date: October, 2020
Location: Mid-town Manhattan. Open to working from home 1-2 days per week.
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time position. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Additional medical and retirement benefits are available.