The JPB Foundation (JPB) seeks an experienced, pro-active, tech-savvy and detailed-oriented executive assistant for the position of Executive Coordinator. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Vice President, April Freilich, the Executive Coordinator will provide a range of administrative and project support, including facilitating the effective running of the COO’s office, schedule, communications, and interactions internal and external to the Foundation.
JPB’s mission is to advance opportunity and justice in the US by reducing poverty, sustaining and enriching our environments, and furthering breakthrough medical research. Through our three core areas of focus – Poverty, Environment, and Medical Research – we work to eliminate systemic injustices that prevent people from thriving. We are dedicated to long-lasting, systemic change. That means we commit to our partners for the long haul, trusting in the strength and vision of the organizations we support to address some of our country’s most entrenched problems.
JPB was founded in 2011 by Barbara Picower, the current president of the Foundation and Chair of the Board with funds bequeathed by her late husband, Jeffry. Over the last 10 years, JPB has grown to be one of the largest US foundations, awarding over $1B in grants across our programs.
The Executive Coordinator will join the COO’s office and can expect to engage with the team in the following responsibilities and areas of work:
Provide support to the COO & EVP, April Freilich, including:
- Attend select meetings with COO, take notes, capture action items, and ensure follow through;
- Follow up and problem solve on issues that arise in the COO’s activities;
- Schedule meetings and manage her calendar;
- Support prioritization and response to emails and messages;
- Reconcile COO expenses;
- Handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately;
- Maintain electronic and paper filing upkeep, including receipts; and
- Track and gather information for meetings, including running Fluxx (grants management database) reports as needed.
Serve as a resource for travel coordination as needed. Develop expertise and understanding of areas for improvement for travel programming, support approval process for travel exceptions. Collaborate with and train staff to on travel portal and answer questions as needed.
Perform minor finance and operational support, including managing insurance policies and other strategic operational renewals such as annual letter of credit and Corporations’ annual filings.
Provide back up support to President’s Executive Coordinator, other executive coordinators, and reception as needed.
Perform other related duties as requested or as responsibilities dictate.
QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIORS
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications below, the ideal candidate will have many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Minimum of five years of experience as an Executive or Administrative Assistant with the ability to self-manage, prioritize a breadth of activities and communication, and the confidence to problem solve and follow up appropriately
- Comfort with using technology and supporting comfort with both paper and computer-based filing and tracking, including proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office computer applications, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, with preferred experience with a database
- Strong organizational and tracking skills and attention to detail for self and others
- Confidence in managing numbers and excel spreadsheets
- Strong verbal and written communicator with the ability to handle communications tactfully and professionally with a high attention to detail
- Orientation towards customer service and support for others, and a willingness to take on tasks as needed
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a team
- Proven organizational and planning/time management skills; ability to meet deadlines
- Sound judgement and integrity
- Bachelors' Degree or equivalent experience in related field
- A commitment to social justice and the mission of JPB
SALARY & BENEFITS
The targeted starting salary range for this position is $80,000 – $90,000, based on experience. JPB offers an extensive and generous benefits package including health insurance (with 100% of the premiums paid for employees, spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members), paid time off (including last week of the year), 401(k) retirement plan with 12% employer contribution, and access to an inclusive family building reimbursement plan. JPB provides up to $5,000 annually for professional development and the ability to recommend an annual grant to the nonprofit of your choice.
WORKING WITH JPB
We believe that diversity is critical to our mission, and we value an inclusive culture. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences related to our programs and applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals. The JPB Foundation is an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate in employment based on race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age or sexual orientation.
This position is based in Manhattan, NY. Following health and safety guidelines and putting in place robust health and safety guidelines, JPB staff recently returned to the office on a hybrid schedule and currently working from the office 3 days weekly, with the flexibility to work remotely two days weekly. During a preliminary training period, this position will initially be required to work from the office four days weekly. JPB has approached our return to work conservatively and is focused on protecting the health and safety of our employees. Consistent with JPB’s mandatory vaccination policy, all new hires (except those granted reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable law) are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted (with the booster of their choice) for COVID-19.