Who We Are
Co-Impact is a global collaborative focused on systems change to improve the lives of millions by advancing education, improving people’s health, and providing economic opportunity. Co-Impact brings together a group of results-oriented funders and program partners who are pooling resources, networks, and expertise to enable lasting change at scale.
We invest in systems change efforts in low and middle-income countries that are working to address underlying conditions that perpetuate social inequities. Our approach builds on and supports the work and experience of civil society, government and philanthropic partners, and each one of our first grants has been developed in partnership with others. By collaborating, and creating a platform for others to join, Co-Impact and its partners seek to achieve far more together than possible alone.
For more information, please visit www.co-impact.org.
Where You Fit
Reporting to the Vice President, Programs, you will serve as a senior program leader responsible for sourcing, vetting and finalizing grant recommendations in education, health and economic opportunity; supporting program partners to develop effective strategies, strengthening organizational capabilities and achieve lasting results; and contributing to improved learning and practice at Co-Impact and in global development and philanthropy.
Youwill need to demonstrate strategic acumen, an abiding curiosity and desire to learn, excellent interpersonal skills, strong analytical ability, and a high level of personal initiative and the ability to work well in a distributed, diverse, deep-thinking and fast-paced environment. We are looking for someone with 12+ years of relevant experience in global development, including substantial experience living, working and understanding the political economies in countries of the global south.
Core responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Contribute to ongoing reflection and improvements to Co-Impact’s strategy and programs, theory and practice of systems change and organizational strengthening, and support model towards achieving shared goals
- Play a lead role in Co-Impact’s strategic positioning, relationships and partnerships
- Develop and foster creativity, rigor and strategic flexibility across grant-making plan and process
- Oversee the process for identifying, assessing and recommending high-impact collaborative opportunities for rounds of grants in collaboration with other funders
- Monitor and manage grants, supporting program partners to develop and execute effective programs, foster evaluation and adaptive learning towards achieving better outcomes
- Review and synthesize program partner reports, prepare memos that succinctly highlight progress/setbacks, key lessons, and make evidence informed recommendations for action
- Support program partners to achieve greater strategic coherence and strengthen organizational capabilities
- Listen to and learn from program partners and peers; build strong relationships with and serve as trusted colleague
- Facilitate cross-learning among Co-Impact’s program partners and philanthropic peers
- Maintain efficient systems for managing large workloads and meet deadlines
- Mentor, support and develop team members
- Perform other responsibilities and duties as requested by the VP, Programs
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 12 years of professional experience and extensive knowledge of one or more of our three areas of focus (education, health and economic opportunity)
- Substantial experience of living and working in and understanding the political economies in the global south
- Experience with civil society, government or multilateral organizations, and/or philanthropy strongly preferred
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant area
- Motivated by looking for root causes, seeking justice and solving social problems at the systems level
- Strategic Agility: Ability to spot high-potential opportunities and facilitate the design of strategic approaches backed by evidence informed analysis.
- Organizational Effectiveness: Evidence of delivering results through thoughtful business strategy, strong leadership, and sound understanding of operations.
- Decision Making: Demonstrated ability to gain sector insights with a wide variety of social sector experts and advisors, and making good judgements balancing data, experience and risk.
- Managing People: Experience motivating and managing collaborative teams to work productively and effectively towards shared goals
- Managing Action with Purpose and Values: Ability to motivate colleagues and get things done in accordance with core purpose and values
- Results Orientation: Strong project management skills, deadline management, sense of responsibility and accountability and the ability to effectively multi-task.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Strong professional representation of Co-Impact, interpersonal relationship abilities, intercultural knowledge and appreciation, be comfortable around senior leaders, understand how they think and the best ways to get things done with them.
- Dealing with Ambiguity: Ability to shift gears comfortably; decide and act without having the total picture; can comfortably evaluate and handle risk and uncertainty.
- Learning Orientation: Intellectually curious; demonstrated openness to new ideas and a diversity of perspectives; unafraid to admit and learn from failure.
- Strong Moral Compass: Impeccable personal ethics and integrity.
- Collaborative Focus: a demonstrated track record of successful collaborations, an understanding of organizations and networks.
- Communications: excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively manage and influence a variety of relationships in a multicultural environment
- Global Flexibility: Given global nature of organization, a willingness to be flexible in working hours and travel internationally.
- Language Proficiency: Fluency in English required, an ability to communicate in 1-2 additional languages strongly preferred
- Perspective: Sense of humor and ability not to take oneself too seriously
This position is full time and exempt for overtime purposes. Co-Impact offers a competitive salary, paid time off and a generous benefits package including medical/dental insurance and a retirement contribution.
Applicants should send – by April 05, 2019– a single document containing: 1) a one-page cover letter, 2) a one or two-page resume/CV, and 3) two samples of accessible writing to Recruiting@co-impact.org with the subject “Director, Programs”. Because we are a small team, we regret that we can only respond to applicants selected for an interview.
**Note: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.**
New Venture Fund Careers
Co-Impact is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.