The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Since beginning its active grantmaking in 2008, Helmsley has committed more than $2 billion for a wide range of charitable purposes. For more information on Helmsley, visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The Director of Information Technology is responsible for the planning, coordination, management, architecture, and operation of the information and communication technology systems and resources at Helmsley. The ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills, experience supervising staff, and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Set and execute Helmsley’s technology vision and strategy, working closely with senior leadership to ensure IT's objectives are aligned with the organization's overall objectives.
- Oversee the efficient running of the organization’s information and communication infrastructure and systems.
- Maintain a close business relationship with users, IT staff, vendors, and consultants to ensure effective functioning of the IT environment.
- Responsible for cybersecurity: its planning, monitoring, and managing.
- Responsible for disaster recovery of the IT environment: its planning, testing and, if necessary, its execution.
- Set priorities and direct the activities of the IT team.
- Manage annual performance reviews and professional development for IT staff.
- Formulate, in conjunction with Legal and HR, technology software and hardware policies and procedures.
- Develop project plans in partnership with key staff for new services and major upgrades according to project schedules and budgets. The scope of the work includes all tasks from conception of projects to final implementation.
- Develop programs that provide regular technology training for staff, including refresher training.
- Select and negotiate purchase and service contracts with appropriate vendors.
- Identify and evaluate emerging technologies and communicate their implications and applications.
- Perform periodic assessments of the IT environment compared to organizational needs and make recommendations for upgrades and/or other changes in the IT model.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement.
- Prepare and oversee the IT organizational and team budgets.
- Perform related duties as assigned or requested by the CEO.
- Minimum ten years’ experience as an IT professional.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a management/leadership role within an IT function.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; ability to communicate confidently across all levels in the organization.
- Experience with cloud-based systems such as Office 365, NetSuite, Concur, UltiPro or foundation grantmaking systems desirable.
- Experience in healthcare IT a plus.
- Team leadership and interpersonal skills such as flexibility, diplomacy, empathy and listening skills.
- Organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and complete such projects and tasks in a timely manner.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to translate complex technical issues in support of senior management briefings and decision making.
- An orientation toward proactively seeking out staff to discuss IT challenges and proactively propose solutions.
- Commitment to keeping abreast of changes in the IT industry and the use of IT in philanthropy and keeping staff aware of such changes.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to motivate staff through effective leadership, mentoring, coaching, development, facilitation, evaluation and rewards.
- Lead by example; be a role model and advocate for Helmsley’s culture of:
- continuous learning and improvement in the pursuit of excellence,
- embracing a sense of urgency, innovation and informed risk taking,
- respecting and valuing the individual, and
- working and learning together as partners.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year higher education institution or similar experience.
The Director of Information Technology position is based at Helmsley’s main office in New York City. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (in Word or PDF format) at http://www.helmsleytrust.org/jobs-helmsley. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Helmsley does not provide visa sponsorship for employment.
FLSA Status: Exempt
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.