The ELMA Philanthropies Services (U.S.) Inc. (“ELMA Philanthropies”) is seeking a Director, Finance & Accounting to join its dynamic global team. The Director, Finance & Accounting will be based in ELMA’s New York City office and report to the Chief Executive Officer. They will oversee the finance and accounting function of the organization, working collaboratively with the finance leads of its Africa-based subsidiaries. They will directly supervise an Accounting Manager and will work closely with legal, operations, human resources, and finance staff. The ability to be an active, collaborative, and flexible team member of a dynamic global team is essential to success in this role.
About ELMA Philanthropies:
With offices in New York City, Johannesburg, and Kampala, ELMA Philanthropies develops and manages strategies, investments, and partnerships for The ELMA Group of Foundations. The main foundation, The ELMA Foundation, is one of the world’s largest private foundations focused on improving the lives of children in Africa. Focus areas of the other foundations include: providing relief to communities affected by humanitarian crises; investing in the growth of high potential social enterprises in Africa; climate resilience in the Caribbean; and supporting youth development through music in the United States. A full description of ELMA can be found on our website: www.elmaphilanthropies.org
Working closely with the CEO, the Director, Finance & Accounting will oversee all aspects of finance and accounting for ELMA Philanthropies:
- Manage and oversee all finance and global audit functions
- Manage all accounting and financial reporting related to various investments, including those in hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate, and direct investments
- Prepare annual operating budget and periodic financial reporting for the Board of Directors
- Manage the quarterly closing of the companies’ financial records including preparation of management accounts with budget to actual variances for presentation to the Board of Directors
- Manage external audits performed by independent outside accountants
- Review the annual 990 Form and provide relevant and accurate information to the tax preparation firm
- Provide support, on an as needed basis, to subsidiaries and affiliated entities with financial management and accounting services
- Oversee tax planning for the group inclusive of intra group funding processes and intercompany transfer pricing compliance
- Support Human Resources in the financial administration of benefit programs including health, dental, life and retirement plans
- Supervise Accounting Manager
- Support Human Resources on bi-weekly payroll
- Maintain knowledge of financial and accounting best practices, the evolving tax and regulatory environment and related developments affecting the not-for-profit and philanthropy sectors
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to form an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
Alignment to Values:
All ELMA employees are expected to demonstrate fit with ELMA’s organizational values and culture. Specifically, all employees are expected to demonstrate a commitment to:
- ELMA’s core values of: humility and integrity; respect for human dignity; pursuit of excellence; commitment to partnership; and a results-orientation informed by continuous learning; and
- Gender equity, social justice, and combatting white supremacy, patriarchy, homophobia, colonialism, and other intersecting systems of oppression.
- Advanced degree in finance, business administration or law preferred but not required
- At least seven years of relevant work experience in an accounting firm, the for-profit sector, executive non-profit management, financial services, or family office management
- Experience with accounting related to alternative investments
- Certified Public or Chartered Accountant qualifications required
- Demonstrated leadership in financial and operations management
- Experience providing financial leadership or management of international and growth phase businesses
- Track record of effective engagement with senior executives and internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent writing, analytical and presentation skills
- Passion for social change, philanthropy, and international development
- Ability to source, analyze, synthesize, and effectively present information for a variety of audiences
- Excellent financial, analytical, and modeling skills
- Strong work ethic, and self-starter with ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Excellent relationship-building skills and ability to collaborate on cross-cultural teams
- Ability to work non-traditional hours and travel locally and internationally as needed
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- A staunch commitment to quality and excellence
- International and multi-jurisdictional experience a plus
- In-person position in New York City
Salary, Benefits & Details:
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits package. The salary range for this position is $175,000.00 - $225,000.00.
ELMA Philanthropies is committed to helping prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to protecting the safety of our employees. All U.S. employees will be required to be fully vaccinated unless the employee is approved for a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious reason.
ELMA Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
All full-time employees are expected to work in the office located in New York city Monday – Thursday, with the option to work remotely on Friday.
How to Apply:
ELMA Philanthropies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you would like to apply for this position, please submit the following to https://smrtr.io/b6bs3:
- A cover letter
- Details of contactable references