Reports to: Executive Director of the Westchester Community Foundation
Position Summary: The Director of Donor Relations and Communications is responsible for the development and execution of strategic cultivation and communications activities that contribute to the long-term growth of the Westchester Community Foundation.
Position Status: Full-time
About the Westchester Community Foundation: Since 1975 the Westchester Community Foundation has worked to improve the quality of life in Westchester by addressing community issues, promoting responsible philanthropy, and connecting donors to critical, local needs. It is a division of the New York Community Trust, which has been helping New Yorkers achieve results through philanthropy since 1924. The Foundation enables people with philanthropic interests to easily and effectively support the causes they care about. It offers comprehensive services to donors, thereby supporting and enhancing their philanthropy, and works cooperatively with others seeking to encourage philanthropy in Westchester, or otherwise to support the mission of the Foundation.
The Foundation provides leadership in identifying current and future community needs and responding to them by investing in high-performing nonprofit organizations. It is a provider of impartial information and data-driven knowledge for the philanthropic community to close the gaps in resources and services for the people of Westchester County, New York. The Foundation partners with community leaders in business, government and faith communities to address the county’s most critical and persistent challenges
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identifies, develops and cultivates relationships with existing and prospective donors.
• Works with the Foundation’s Professional Advisory Council to plan and coordinate programs for professional advisors to facilitate their clients’ charitable and financial goals utilizing the Foundation’s services, coordinating with The New York Community Trust’s General Counsel where there is overlap or for collaborative lead generation.
• Represents the Foundation at community, donor, professional advisor and grantee functions to extend the reach and awareness of the Foundation.
• Supports other members of the team and collaborates across departments in an effective, professional manner.
• Participates in Board and staff meetings to stay abreast of key issues, opportunities and events.
• Provides leadership in identifying opportunities to increase the Foundation’s visibility in the community with the goal of growing the assets of the Foundation.
• Assists the Executive Director in the creation, implementation and ongoing management of the Foundation’s development plan.
• Oversees all communications that contribute to increased visibility of the Foundation through written materials, website, social media, and media relations.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to meet internal and external deadlines and balance competing priorities.
• Discretion with handling confidential documents and information.
• Minimum five years of professional experience in fundraising and frontline development, donor relations, and/or stewardship required.
• Ability to implement and manage individualized cultivation, solicitation and recognition plans.
• Ability to participate as a team member, working collaboratively and managing projects across diverse groups, with a commitment to following and enforcing processes and procedures.
• A sense of humor is essential.
Preferred Education or Equivalent Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
The ideal candidate will have experience in donor stewardship, philanthropy, planned giving and nonprofits. The Director of Donor Relations and Communications will join a team of four in the Westchester office. The Westchester Community Foundation, together with the Long Island Community Foundation, is a division of the New York Community Trust. Its donor relations and development efforts are coordinated with donor relations and general counsel at the New York Community Trust. The Westchester Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, gender, age, veteran status sexual orientation, or disability.
Compensation is competitive based upon experience.