Deputy Director of Communications/Press Secretary
Washington, D.C. preferred
Hybrid (Two days per week in office)
The Century Foundation (TCF), a leading progressive think tank, is seeking a Deputy Director of Communications/Press Secretary to help spearhead communications and media relations efforts across the organization’s work to pursue racial, gender, disability and economic equity in education, health care, and work. The Deputy Director will join a fast-growing organization on the cutting edge of progressive policy, and an office committed to building a culture of equity and inclusion, both internally and externally.
The Deputy Director of Communications/Press Secretary will serve as TCF’s chief media point of contact, focused on generating quality press coverage for TCF’s research and experts, elevating TCF’s reputation and impact, helping coordinate state and national strategic communications efforts, and maintaining the core media relations infrastructure. They will also assist with media outreach for Next100, a paradigm-shifting start-up think tank launched by TCF two years ago and built for a new generation of policy leaders and policy ideas.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, this person will help lead TCF’s digital and social media strategy, including supervising a senior communications associate who manages the organization’s social and digital programs on the day-to-day. They will take an active role in supporting organizational leadership, including TCF’s president and congressional affairs director.
- Create and execute media strategy. Develop and drive earned media strategy for TCF and Next100 research reports, campaigns, and experts.
- Proactively pitch. Implement day-to-day press outreach by pitching local, regional, and national media. Work to secure high-profile coverage of TCF and Next100’s work, especially on TV and radio.
- Lead digital and social media strategy. Shape messaging and guide strategies and tactics deployed on social media platforms, as well as email, and digital ads.
- Develop materials. Write and edit persuasive external and internal documents such as press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, editorial board memos, fact sheets, talking points, funder documents, and communications plans.
- Identify media opportunities. Have a strong understanding of the media landscape surrounding TCF’s issues and identify opportunities to participate in ongoing conversations.
- Field media inquiries. Coordinate interview requests, prep experts for media appearances, and help to hone TCF’s message across policy areas.
- Manage rapid response. Monitor breaking news events, develop messaging, and conduct rapid response outreach to the press.
- Maintain media relations systems. Develop and consistently update press lists across TCF and Next100’s issue areas, compile news clippings, and coordinate with external vendors.
- Assist in Hill outreach. Assist with outreach to congressional staff and the White House and liaise with stakeholders and partners on TCF’s research, briefings, and events.
- Five to seven years of experience working in progressive politics, strategic communications, media relations, advocacy, journalism, or a related field. Direct or indirect management in those fields is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to secure print, radio, and TV coverage on issues related to TCF and Next100’s core issue areas.
- A strong network of national media contacts, including D.C.-based reporters and producers. Experience maintaining strong relationships with journalists.
- Contacts on Capitol Hill and experience working in a legislative or advocacy environment to push for policy change.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, and the ability to write clearly and concisely about complex topics.
To apply, please upload a cover letter, resume and one writing sample.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, non-gender conforming individuals, people of color, and people with disabilities.