The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation (MCHF) was formed in 2018, by the sale of the Legacy Fidelis New York Medicaid Health Plan. MCHF is organized as a New York not-for-profit corporation and as a 501(c)(3) private foundation under the Internal Revenue Code.
MCHF has an asset base of approximately $3.8 billion and an operating budget that includes approximately $140 million in annual grant awards to promote and support programs which seek to improve the health of underserved New Yorkers, bolster the health outcomes of diverse communities, and enhance access to affordable healthcare and healthcare-related services across New York State. Although MCHF operates in accordance with the ethical principles, tenets, and teachings of the Roman Catholic faith, it exists to help New Yorkers of all faiths or no faith at all.
Reporting to the Director of Community Relations, the Community Relations Associate—Upstate New York will assist in building productive relationships with leaders in upstate New York communities, and healthcare and social service industries. This is a work-from-home position preferably located near Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Schenectady, or Utica. When it is safe to do so, the Community Relations Associate—Upstate New York will be expected to visit grantees throughout upstate New York, with occasional visits to the New York City area including to the foundation’s headquarters. A reasonable travel schedule will be determined after the hire of the successful candidate and will take into consideration the location of their home office.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Take an active role in the development and execution of objectives that align with the foundation’s community relations strategies.
- Examine, promote, and participate in informed discussion of public policy issues, particularly about social determinants of health including poverty, food security, education, housing, and immigration.
- Assist with building and managing relationships with community-based organizations, nonprofits, and other stakeholders.
- Raise the profile of MCHF programs with strategic partners and fosters partnerships for influence and impact with target stakeholders in change (including private sector, government, civil society, and the media).
- Help identify new and emerging health and social determinants of health trends.
- Assist with identifying community needs and priorities for future efforts of the MCHF.
- Develop and maintain Community Relations team's databases.
- Support the drafting of internal and external communications such as press releases, presentations, media post, talking points, and other supporting documents.
- Bachelor's degree in healthcare administration, business, social science, public relations, advertising, journalism, marketing, or other applicable field.
- Five (5) years professional experience working in fund-development, public affairs, government relations, charitable service, or related field.
- Experience working in a non-profit, corporation or government entity in New York City.
- Demonstrated success record of engaging and collaborating with internal and external parties in person, via different communications technology (i.e. Microsoft Teams, Google meets and Zoom), and social media/digital platforms.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience managing multiple priorities simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail, preferably in a startup environment.
- Driven to pursue excellence and achieve positive outcomes.
- Ability to work independently and with a team on a wide range of topics.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
- Commitment to promoting the mission and values of the MCHF.
MCHF will provide any reasonable accommodation(s) required to perform the essential duties of this role, including working under the following conditions and requirements:
- Full-time, work-from-home position with reimbursement for virtual office expenses.
- Must have car and ability to periodically travel throughout assigned regions of New York. Travel expenses/mileage will be reimbursed.
- Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Salary and Benefits:
The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation offers a competitive salary and benefits package that is commensurate with experience, and equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status. The MCHF is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply.