POSITION: Communications Specialist
JOB TYPE: Full Time
REPORTS TO: President
Founded in 2002, the Korean American Community Foundation (KACF) transforms and empowers communities through philanthropy, volunteerism and inter-community bridge building. KACF’s grantmaking promotes self-sufficiency for the underserved and under-resourced. The Foundation also raises awareness of needs and issues in the Asian American community, and works to foster a culture of giving. Our vision is a vibrant Korean American community working together to strengthen our society.
KACF has a dynamic and agile staff of five, and we welcome an entrepreneurial individual who will lead and thrive in a small, team-oriented organization. The Communications Specialist will join the Foundation at a key moment in its history and development as a beacon in the Korean American community, ahead of its 20th anniversary.
The Communications Specialist will be responsible for planning and executing all external communications initiatives, as well as some internal communications. S/he will develop and refine the organization’s voice and messages for diverse audiences. The ideal candidate is a great storyteller who can transform complex ideas into shareable content.
- Develop a communications strategy with the KACF team, to increase the visibility of the Foundation and its work, support fundraising, and ultimately advance KACF’s mission
- Integrate messaging with the Development team’s fundraising strategies and key projects, including the Annual Gala, other special events, the annual appeal, and donor cultivation initiatives.
Strategy Execution and Content Management
- Protect the KACF brand and manage consistency in design, branding, and tone of digital and printed materials across all platforms
- Manage the planning, production, and dissemination of high quality assets and publications under the KACF brand, for a range of audiences
- Oversee consultants/vendors in designing and maintaining KACF’s website, event marketing materials, annual reports, video production, and photography
- Manage KACF’s online presence, including social media, website, and e-newsletter.
- Cultivate relationships with ethnic and mainstream media outlets, and write media pitches, press releases, and media alerts as needed around key moments
- Monitor media and news developments to keep KACF at the forefront of Korean American and philanthropic communities
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Experience: Minimum 3-5 years of experience in communications, marketing, journalism or related work, preferably at a nonprofit organization or a foundation
- Project Management Skills: Strong project management skills, with the capability to handle multiple projects with competing deadlines, and the flexibility to manage shifting priorities
- Technology Skills:
- Working knowledge of email marketing and design tools, such as Constant Contact and Canva, or experience working with similar tools
- Working knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Technologically savvy and able to self-learn emerging and new tech platforms that support communications efforts
- Communication Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal communication, as well as storytelling skills
- Critical thinking and editorial judgement in assessing, compiling and disseminating information
- Ability to prepare and deliver information both internally and externally, and to interact with diverse audiences
- Team Work & General Skills:
- A strong team player capable of working collaboratively with a diverse range of constituents and exhibit individual maturity, respect for others, and a team-centered approach
- A self-starter capable of working with limited supervision
- Flexibility to work before/after hours and some weekends
- Cultural Competence: Familiarity, interest and knowledge of the Korean/Asian American community is a plus but not required
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary. KACF offers a benefits package that includes employee medical and dental covered by the organization, 401(k) retirement plan, access to professional development opportunities, and additional benefits.