Brooklyn Community Foundation is seeking a communications and social media intern to join our Communications team part-time for fall 2022, with a start date the week of September 19, 2022.
The ideal applicant will possess strong writing and content development skills and a demonstrated commitment to the Foundation’s racial justice mission. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to web and print projects, updating and monitoring the Foundation’s blog and social media channels, promoting events, and updating our website. Those looking to gain valuable online media experience with a mission-driven organization are encouraged to apply. This position reports to the Foundation’s Communications Manager.
About Brooklyn Community Foundation
Brooklyn Community Foundation is on a mission to spark lasting social change, mobilizing people, capital, and expertise for a fair and just Brooklyn. It is the first and only public foundation solely dedicated to Brooklyn, working in partnership with generous donors and community leaders to advance racial justice and bolster vital nonprofits. Since its founding in 2009, the Foundation and its donors have provided over $75 million in grants to nonprofits in Brooklyn and beyond. Learn more at www.BrooklynCommunityFoundation.org
- Work with the Vice President of Communications and the Communications Manager on executing the Foundation’s digital content strategy
- Create and schedule engaging blog and social media content, including graphics, as part of the Foundation’s content calendar
- Interview subjects and draft copy for profiles of donors and grantees
- Support the #BrooklynGives on Giving Tuesday campaign
- Draft the Foundation’s Brooklyn Accelerator newsletter for nonprofits
- Support for events (in-person and/or virtual)
- Special communications projects as needed
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications or related field (or recent graduate)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- In-depth working knowledge of Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Graphic Design experience
- Basic Photoshop skills, familiarity with Canva
- Basic video editing skills (Adobe Premiere, iMovie, or similar software)
- Experience with social media analytics, including Google Analytics, Hootsuite analytics, or similar
- Experience with Mailchimp or similar email marketing software
- Experience with HTML, Drupal and/or WordPress
- Proficient with Google Drive and Microsoft Office Suite
- Desire to serve Brooklyn Communities; strong ties to Brooklyn or living in Brooklyn a plus
- Passionate about racial, social, and economic justice
$20/hour, for a 16-hour/week schedule. Duration: 12 weeks, starting the week of September 19, 2022.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Communications Intern will be a hybrid remote/in-office position, and interviews will be conducted via Zoom. Applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work from our office.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and design sample as a single PDF to email@example.com (no reference letters or phone calls please!), listing Communications Intern in the subject line by Tuesday, August 30, 2022.
Brooklyn Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In alignment with its Racial Justice Lens, the Foundation is committed to maintaining a staff that diversifies philanthropy, including lifting up the leadership of people from communities historically underrepresented in the field and those directly affected by structural racism, centering them in decision-making. Additionally, the Foundation does not base any hiring decisions on an applicant’s history of involvement in the criminal justice system.