ExpandED is dedicated to ensuring that all young people have access to enriching learning opportunities that affirm their identities, teach them valuable skills, and spark new possibilities. Through program development, capacity-building, research and advocacy, we work toward our vision of a vibrant and stable publicly-funded system of school-community partnership so that all New York City children thrive.
Established in 1998, the organization today works with more than 119,000 children and 900 programs throughout New York City to ensure that students in under-served communities have access to innovative, engaging ways of learning to enable them to reach their full potential. Over the last two decades, ExpandED Schools’ efforts and strategic outreach have led to increased recognition of the academic, social, and emotional benefits of afterschool, increased funding, and new models for school-community partnership.
The Director of Communications is the creator and protector of ExpandED Schools’ voice, messaging, content and visual presentation across all media, leading a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that supports ExpandED Schools in meeting its goals and mission. Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Director of Communications will collaborate to design and drive the organization’s communications and marketing strategy.
- Lead development and refinement of an organization-wide communications plan, balancing multiple priorities with available capacity and desire for a constant drumbeat of external-facing activities
- Work with the advancement team, executive teams and all program teams to ensure our communications function is an inspiring and collaborative team sport
- Support writing, design and production of all content that supports publications and events to meet fundraising and programmatic goals
- Share leadership of event planning and production for multiple audiences, including press, policy and individual and institutional donors
- Oversee writing and editing of a variety of short pieces that include blog posts, advocacy alerts, articles, Ops Eds and social media content
- Maintain content, look and flow of website and consistent organizational image for ExpandED Schools across the web.
- Manage ExpandED Schools’ social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn).
- Evaluate new and existing channels for reaching ExpandED Schools’ key audiences.
- Design and distribute e-newsletters and specialized email communications.
- Deploy online tools for advocacy campaigns, marketing, fundraising and targeted communications.
- Shoot, edit and produce video for ExpandED website and staff presentations.
- Perform other work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience and at least 5-7 years of experience in public relations, media, marketing or nonprofit communications.
- Experience working in education, either at a non-profit or within the school system.
- Strong cultural competence with respect for and knowledge of the cultures of the various stakeholders we work with and the communities we serve.
- Interpersonal skills that inspire team members and colleagues with a commitment to excellence in communications.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and work as part of a team.
- Experience in producing outstanding communications and marketing materials in all media including print, web, social media, animated and live-action video.
- Experience producing communications for successful fundraising campaigns and events.
- Deep commitment and passion for educational equity.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and comfort with complexity and change.
- Exceeding organization, motivation, and detail-orientation.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite and communications platforms.
- Willingness and ability to travel within New York City frequently and potential for overnight trips.
Salary Range: $94,000 – $101,000
ExpandED Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Our benefits package includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools.
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts.
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage.
- Paid time off package which includes 24 vacation days, 8 sick days, and 12 paid holidays .
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement).
- Commitment to work-life balance.
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after six months of service.
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in training and coaching.
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. ExpandED Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, Subject: Communications Director. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.