The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) is a global philanthropy driven by a vision of building better futures for people by increasing access to healthcare, advancing new research and ideas, and improving the quality of everyday life. Helmsley strives to make a meaningful impact in its focus areas, matching its significant financial assets with a rigorous and results-oriented approach. Helmsley is committed to close and productive partnerships with its grantees, as well as with other funders and impact players in government, academia, and the private sector who share its interests and goals. Above all, Helmsley endeavors to be forward-thinking in every aspect of its work and will take risks that others cannot or will not take when the risk/reward trade-off warrants.
Since 2008, when Helmsley began its active grantmaking, it has committed more than $4 billion. For more information on Helmsley, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The Communications Associate will provide a range of digital communications support to two of Helmsley’s programs, Type 1 Diabetes and Crohn’s Disease. Working closely with our program teams and a Communications Officer to understand the substance of our work and our communications priorities, the Associate will co-create and execute a robust editorial calendar, including crafting, designing, and posting compelling digital media and website content. The Associate will co-manage a growing photo and video library, help identify opportunities for new photography and video, and collaborate with Helmsley’s photographers to keep the library fresh. The Associate will track and report digital and website metrics and make recommendations based on trends. We seek an individual with the confidence, curiosity, and humility to ask questions, seek clarity when necessary, and share ideas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- As the primary creator of social media for Helmsley’s Crohn’s Disease and Type 1 Diabetes programs, coordinate closely with Communications Officer and program colleagues to ensure relevant, timely content is crafted and posted to support program priorities and strategy.
- Regularly propose creative ideas for weekly, monthly, and campaign-specific content.
- Ability to analyze grasp the essence of an article or piece of news, extract what’s relevant about it for Helmsley, and accurately craft compelling content in a Helmsley voice.
- Schedule and execute posting of all content for the Crohn’s Disease and Type 1 Diabetes programs. Coordinate proper review prior to posting.
- Day-to-day oversight of Helmsley's website, including content to showcase our programs and their impact; news items; Helmsley staff contributions; and other dynamic content.
- Co-manage internal photo and video library, tracking which content is used when and how it performs, and identifying needs for new visuals.
- Work with senior communications and program staff to identify new concepts for cases studies, news items, and other substantive content that help bring material to life.
- Craft guidance for colleagues for social media at key moments.
- Co-manage social media and website analytics and generate regular reports and recommendations for improvements.
- Track developments and conversations within each program's sector to ensure Helmsley’s tenor is appropriate, and we are engaged with our intended audiences.
- Provide general communications and marketing.
- Advanced training or demonstrated interest in biology or biomedical research, public health, or global health.
- Experience in digital communications, preferably in a health or science-related setting (healthcare, university, pharmaceutical, bioengineering).
- Completion of undergraduate science degree preferred; graduate degree (e.g. MS, PhD, MD, MPH) a significant plus.
- Deep knowledge of and experience with social media platforms, including LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Experience with WordPress (or similar web management platform), InDesign, Lightroom, and Sprout Social preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative mind-set.
- Ability to work independently and strong project-management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Superlative attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in an office environment and as part of a team.
Salary, Health, Well-being, and Living Our Mission
Helmsley is dedicated to creating stronger, healthier futures for communities in the U.S. and around the world. Our staff are subject matter experts from a range of backgrounds in basic science, global health, and precision medicine, as well as the private sector and public policy.
Helmsley colleagues are intelligent, creative, forward thinking, and strongly committed to working productively with our grantee partners. Each was drawn to Helmsley by the same opportunity: to help build this young organization into a leading global charitable institution that will drive meaningful and measurable positive change in lives throughout the U.S. and around the world for years to come.
Helmsley is committed to offering competitive and equitable compensation commensurate with experience. The targeted starting salary range for this position is $90,000-$98,000.
Comprehensive benefits currently offered to employees (subject to change) include:
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and their families
- Generous 401(k) employer contribution
- Hybrid work schedule (up to two remote days a week)
- 23+ paid vacation and sick days
- 13+ paid holidays
- End of year office closure
- Summer Fridays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Personal and team professional development opportunities
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume (in Word or PDF format), via the link https://helmsleytrust.org/about/#careers-section. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact HR@helmsleytrust.org
The position is based at Helmsley’s main office in New York City. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Except when working remotely as permitted by Helmsley’s temporary hybrid work policy, the ability to work and collaborate in person with colleagues at Helmsley’s office is an essential function of this job.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Helmsley provides equal employment and promotional opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.