The Benefits & HRIS Specialist fills a key role in serving as a first point of contact for many HR-related inquiries. The position is responsible for working with employees, managers, payroll and benefits carriers to coordinate several key functions and processes in the HR department including: payroll, salary administration, relocation, timekeeping and benefits administration including retiree health benefits.
The Benefits & HRIS Specialist will lead maintenance and implementation of new functionality in the HRIS, Workday. They will be responsible for multiple modules which may include HCM, benefits, talent and recruitment, time and attendance, performance management, and more.
Externally, the Benefits & HRIS Specialist is also responsible for the operational relationships with the Foundation’s benefits carriers and, as such, will be the primary contact with carriers and brokers. The position will also ensure that plans are administered in compliance with federal, state and local law.
- Provide support to employees and managers in relation to HR policies and systems, employee benefits plans, payroll processes, performance management and employee relations issues, working with HR managers as necessary.
- Provide tier-one support to employees with problems relating to Workday HRIS including employee self-service, time and attendance, and performance management systems.
- Stay up-to-date on Workday system functionality and release notes, maintaining and implementing modules as needed. This may include HCM, benefits, talent and recruitment, time and attendance, performance management, and succession planning.
- Manage the full onboarding process for employees — This includes working with managers and recruiters to ensure that all necessary forms are completed in a timely manner, providing or coordinating initial benefits orientation for employees, assisting with online benefits enrollment processes, providing relocation counseling and support when needed, calculating federal tax status using Tax Navigator for foreign nationals and ensuring all required employee information is entered into the HRIS.
- Manage the full offboarding process for employees — This includes working with managers to ensure that all necessary forms are completed in a timely manner, providing or coordinating a benefit exit interview for employees and coordinating the post-termination COBRA administration process.
- Assist with the salary administration process and provide ongoing support and guidance to employees and managers working with recruiters and HR managers as necessary — This includes processing salary and status changes, promotions, disability and other types of leave, reviewing federal tax status using Tax Navigator for foreign nationals and maintaining up-to-date leave balances.
- Administer leave for employees including the foundation’s parental leave, FMLA, PFL, short-term and long-term disability, unpaid absences, extended child-care leave, coordination of benefits, maintenance of time records and coordinating leave with leave carriers.
- Comply with federal, state and local legal requirements affecting employer-sponsored plans by maintaining professional and technical knowledge of existing and new legislation; obtain opinions of qualified experts when necessary; advise management of needed actions; file reports and disclosures required by the Department of Labor, the Internal Revenue Service, insurance commissioners in the various states and other regulatory agencies.
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of benefit plan documents produced by insurance carriers, including Summary Plan Descriptions, Certificates of Insurance, Benefit Summaries and service agreements; prepare communication materials announcing new benefit plans and plan changes to active employees and retirees; support the annual open enrollment process; support biannual wellness events; update and reissue existing benefits communications as needed.
- Resolve employee questions and problems by interpreting benefit policies and procedures; intercede with insurance carriers and brokers on claims issues as they arise to ensure quick, courteous resolution.
- Create, reconcile and approve billing statements for payment.
- Maintain electronic employee files in the Workday system.
- Create and run ad hoc Workday reports as requested by managers and HR.
- Assist with various HR-related administrative tasks, special projects and reports — These are often highly confidential and/or urgent.
- BA or BS degree is preferred.
- Three to four years of progressively responsible HR experience in benefits administration and HRIS
- Workday experience is strongly preferred
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Familiarity with HR principles and laws
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience with database systems and Excel
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively handle multiple situations simultaneously
- Ability to maintain tact and confidentiality at all times
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a résumé and cover letter stating your interest in the position.
The Simons Foundation’s Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.