Based in New York City, the Associate Program Officer will support the development and management of grants and other investments primarily for the health portfolio of The ELMA Foundation. The Associate Program Officer will report to the Program Manager and will work closely with colleagues based in New York, Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Kampala, including other Associate Program Officers, the Health Director, Director, Measurement and Evaluation, Director, Grants Finance, and General Counsel. S/he will be joining a collaborative and dynamic team. The ability to be a self-starter and an active and team player across multiple office locations is essential to success in this role.
With offices in New York City, Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Kampala, The ELMA Philanthropies Services develops program strategies, identifies, and explores grant and other investing opportunities, monitors investment performance, and establishes philanthropic relationships for The ELMA Group of Foundations. This Group includes The ELMA Foundation, The ELMA Relief Foundation, The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation, The ELMA Music Foundation, The ELMA Growth Foundation, and The ELMA South Africa Foundation. The ELMA Philanthropies is largely focused on providing these services to the largest foundation within the group, The ELMA Foundation. A full description of the activities of each Foundation can be found on our website: www.elmaphilanthropies.org.
The ELMA Foundation’s mission is to improve the lives of African children and youth through support of sustainable efforts to relieve poverty, advance education, and promote health. It is currently active across eastern and southern Africa.
The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation’s mission is to expand vaccine and immunization coverage for children globally.
The ELMA Relief Foundation’s mission is to provide post-disaster emergency assistance throughout the globe with special attention to the needs of children, who often suffer disproportionately in the aftermath of such tragedies.
The ELMA Growth Foundation’s mission is to invest exclusively in Africa in the growth or expansion of initiatives focused on the economic and social development of low-income individuals, families, and communities.
The ELMA South Africa Foundation funds selected programs not aimed specifically at children, within the country of South Africa.
The ELMA Music Foundation’s mission is to provide philanthropic assistance to organizations in South Africa, the UK, and the USA that either provide music education to underprivileged children and youth or provide assistance to members of the music community who undergo personal and financial hardship.
- Support the development and management of grant-investments primarily for The ELMA Foundation, but across other Foundations and portfolios as requested
- Conduct thorough due diligence including critical analysis of proposals, budgets, work-plans, monitoring and evaluation frameworks, organizational strengths and weaknesses, and external risk factors
- Manage relevant aspects of grants administration and maintenance of records in ELMA’s grants administration system
- Thoughtfully develop, write, and present concise investment recommendations for Board review
- Research grant and other investment opportunities that fit with ELMA’s investment frameworks
- Critically monitor the programmatic effectiveness and financial management of investees and report this to senior management and the Board
- Research and prepare memos for senior management and the Board on specific topics as requested
- Build strong relationships with grantees and other strategic partners, including co-investors and governments
- Implement special projects including those related to ELMA’s systems and processes
- Actively contribute to cross-office learning and strategy development
• Bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree in public health, business administration, finance, public policy, or a relevant field is preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in investing, grant-making, program management, consulting, or other equivalent private sector experience (preferably with a health focus).
- Ability to source, analyse, synthesize, and effectively present information for a variety of audiences
- Excellent critical and analytical skills
- Fluency in English; excellent oral and written communication skills. Fluency in an African language preferred but not required.
- Excellent Excel skills and ability to analyse and present data in a highly organized manner
- Quick learner and self-starter with ability to take initiative
- Strong work ethic and ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and ability to collaborate on internal teams as well as with external stakeholders
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work non-traditional hours and travel locally and internationally as needed
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements and feel equipped for this challenging position please submit your CV, a cover letter, and details of three contactable referees in confidence to ELMAjobs@elmaphilanthropies.org with “Health Associate Program Officer” in the subject line by 15 February 2020.
The ELMA Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.