The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Since beginning its active grantmaking in 2008, Helmsley has committed more than $2.5 billion for a wide range of charitable purposes.
For more information, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The Accountant, Investment Accounting is an integral part of the Finance team and assists in accounting for the investments of Helmsley’s endowment of approximately $6 billion. The Accountant, Investment Accounting has a dual reporting relationship to the Manager, Investment Accounting and Manager, Tax. This role requires a partnership philosophy with Helmsley’s internal and external parties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that Helmsley’s financial controls and investment accounting policies and procedures are maintained, and enhanced where necessary and appropriate
- Ensure accurate and timely processing and accounting of investment transactions, including:
- Settlement of trades
- Monitoring movement of securities
- Cash and position reconciliations, accruals, etc.,
- Execution of capital calls, receipt of distributions, and other capital activities
- Monthly/quarterly management fee analysis and payment
- Reconciliation of unfunded commitments
- Preparation of accounting and tax journal entries
- Other shadow accounting activities as appropriate
- Preparation of annual financial audit and tax return workpapers
- Maintain high quality relationships with all counterparties
- Collaborate extensively internally (with Investment Office, Controller Function, General Counsel’s office, etc.) and externally (with Master Custodial Bank, investment managers, and other advisors and administrators) to ensure smooth operations and timely resolution of issues
- Minimum 3 years of accounting experience at an investment firm or endowment
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related experience
- CPA preferred
- Flexibility and adaptability commensurate with working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, corporate enterprise wide general ledger systems, and MCB systems, and ability to adapt to new systems
- Prior experience with investment accounting and master custodial banks
- Experience working with enterprise accounting software and other office systems and ability to adapt to new systems
- Strong planning, organization, and time management skills, and ability to meet deadlines
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of financial information
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to convey relevant financial information in a clear, concise manner to a non-technical audience.
- Must thrive in the team-setting but work well independently and self-sufficiently
- Sense of humor, an up-beat attitude under pressure
Health and Well-being
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and their families
- Generous 401(k) employer contribution
- 23+ paid vacation and sick days
- 13 paid holidays and 1 floating holiday
- Office closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Summer Fridays
- Generous maternal and paternal leave during new child’s first year (born into family or adopted)
- Tuition reimbursement
The Accountant, Investment Accounting position is based at Helmsley’s main office in New York City. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume at www.helmsleytrust.org/jobs-helmsley. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Helmsley does not provide visa sponsorship for employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.